Onion Juice for Hair loss treatment? It might sound surprising, but onion juice is considered a cheap home remedy for hair loss. In Today’s article, I am going to reveal the real facts on onion juice for hair loss. The most important question whether it works for male pattern baldness, that’s androgenetic alopecia, which is the most common cause of baldness and hair loss in over 90 percent of the cases.
The myth of onion juice for hair loss
Before we start, I reveal to you the efficacy of onion juice for baldness and the type of hair loss it works, and how? Let’s quickly learn some different kinds of alopecia. Alopecia is a medical term for hair loss. Do not skip this topic, as this is important to understand the role of onion juice for hair fall treatment.
The myth of onion juice for hair loss
1.Androgenic Alopecia or hair loss caused by genetics or family history. This is the most common type of hair loss pattern in men and is called male pattern baldness in males and again, the most common cause of hair loss in women and is called female pattern baldness. We will discuss these types and stages of male pattern baldness in detail in some other article.
2. Alopecia Areata This is a patchy hair loss and is an autoimmune disorder that causes the body’s immune system to attack the healthy hair follicles. The exact cause of this remains unknown, but it is thought to be triggered by stress and traumatic events.
also read Top 7 essential oils for allergies
3. Alopecia Totalis and Alopecia Universalis are rare types: Total means the patchy type of hair loss will make the scalp bald. Simultaneously, the Universalis implies losing all hair from the entire body, including eyebrows, eyelashes, and all body hair.
4.Traction Alopecia: This type of hair loss occurs due to traction or excessive tension by pulling of the hair like when vigorously combing hair, applying some hairstyling procedures, and even tight braiding and tight ponytails. This type of hair loss is usually reversible when you stop these bad habits that cause hair loss.
Now you know the types of hair loss. We will now know the real facts and myths on onion juice for baldness treatment. Firstly Some Facts on Onions:
1. Onions and even garlic contain sulfur, which is good for hair because the hair protein keratin needs sulfur for its production. It is also said that the sulfur from onions may also help promote collagen production. Collagen, in turn, permits the production of healthy skin cells and hair growth. Here is the catch! It would help if you had a dietary sulfur intake, which is then carried through blood circulation into the hair bulb, which then helps in promoting hair growth. So the topical application of onion juice has absolutely no scientific basis.
2. Other theories say that it has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that help in hair growth.
3. Some also say it increases blood circulation and promotes hair growth, but nothing is scientifically proved.
4. only one research study was conducted in 2002 on this onion juice and treatment of alopecia areata. Mind you; it was used only for patchy hair loss and not for the commonest androgenetic alopecia. In alopecia areata, it was shown to give some successful results. Although the study said it showed positive results, it was tested in a small number of only 38 participants. I have linked two research articles on this topic, and both say the exact mechanism of action of onion juice for hair loss treatment snot known. So that says it all!
No other scientific study has shown the effectiveness of onion juice for male pattern baldness or hair loss. If you have patchy hair loss or even traction alopecia, it might work, whether due to a placebo effect or by other means, not sure!
I hope this The myth of onion juice for hair loss article is useful for you.